Thursday, August 14, 2008

It's Official.

It's official. The word is out. I'm a cro-tard. That's short for crochet-tard. Or we can use Madge's word, crouton, to describe me and my lack of crochet abilities.

I learned how to crochet in fifth grade. I can chain, single and double crochet. Or so I thought. A couple of months ago, I read on Cristi's blog that she had crocheted this cute shrug and I wanted to try. I convinced Madge to help me, and I finished a whopping two rows before going on vacation. Really, two whole rows. Whoop de doo. Because that's all I could figure out on my own. I tried it again yesterday at knitting group. Tried is the operative word. Because I tried Madge's patience in teaching me. And Marie's too in listening to me whine and kvetch. I'm sorry, dear friends. Thank you for your support and patience. From now on, I will only attempt to crochet square or rectangular objects, ones that do not require increasing or decreasing, or counting of stitches beyond the set up row. Washcloths and blankets only from now on.

This is where I was at the end of knitting group yesterday. It looks fine, but the gauge is way off. More importantly, I couldn't get my stitch count.


So I went home and did this.


And then it quickly became this, so I can jump right into another knitting project. That's how I deal with the pain... quick cast on of a new project. (Try this excuse when you really want to cast on a new project; it's a good one.) I think this one will attempt to become a Chickami.


Now I remember why I like knitting so much. I can actually do it. Well, if I can't, can you please not tell me?