Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Pity Party is Over!

I realized afterwards of course that my last post was such a whine-fest, and I apologize. The Pity Party is now officially over! I got tired of screwing up, so decided to buckle down and Focus with capital "F." That means, I put stitch markers in between the repeats on Liesl to help me along. And it also means I stuck with Hanami a bit more and actually finished one whole repeat in a span of a day or so. To celebrate, I have a FO to show. It's Liesl!


Project: Liesl by Ysolda Teague
Yarn: Elsebeth Lavold Cable Cotton in a plummy color, about 3.3 skeins
Needles: Knit Picks Options US Size 11
Start: July 2
Finish: July 18

Thoughts: I made this sweater to wear over camis during the summer, and it's perfect for that. I'm tempted to frog my Retro Redux Shrug and make another of these using a denimy blue Cotton Patine (that is very splitty) because I can see a lot of use out of this. I made no mods but found my gauge tightened up quite a bit. I didn't fit right before blocking, so I soaked it for about 12 hours and then pinned it out. I don't usually soak projects for such a long time, except every time I would check on it, I would see lots of purple in the water. I'd change the water and walk out and check back again when I remembered next. Finally, after the 7th time or so, I put a bit of vinegar (apple cider vinegar was all I had in the cupboard), and no more bleeding after that.
I also want to make one from wool, probably 3/4 sleeves, and will probably go down to size 10 needles and knit the next size up. I blocked this one a bit more than I expected, and while the fabric is drapey and airy (perfect for summer), I'd like the next one to be a bit more dense. There are a ton of beautiful finished Liesls on ravelry, so be sure to check them out for inspiration. Finally, I give you a picture of my back. I love how the lace lines up and runs down in columns.
The linebacker view.
Thanks to Patty for the pics and to Marie for the tacking-on-the-ribbon-ties tips!