Monday, April 07, 2008

Quick Medicine

After finishing up Lenore, I needed some quick knitting to soothe my injured ankle, so I decided to whip up a couple of Hot Waffles hats as gifts to my kungfu brothers who helped shlep my stuff and me back to LA.


Hat #1


Hat #2


Project: Hot Waffles Hat 1 & 2 by Anne Hanson
Yarn: Rio de la Plata 3 Ply Thread in Rabbit for Hat #1 (mostly used leftover scraps from Sweetie Boy's sweater and a little bit of a new skein); Jaeger Matchmaker Merino Aran in Black for Hat #2 (less than 2 skeins)
Needles: Knitpicks 16" classic circulars in US size 7 for Hat #1; Addi Turbo 16" circulars in US size 6 for Hat #2
Start and Finish: Hat #1 - April 5 to April 6; Hat #2 - April 6 (done in 1 day)

Thoughts: This is a great pattern that is super easy to remember and looks great. Perfect masculine hat. I have to pick up some Rowan Calmer to make a couple more in cotton. These receive a high recommendation and a must-knit rating, if I were to rate the patterns.

I never gave you the details on the Lenores, so here goes...
Project: Lenore by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock Lightweight in Lenore colorway, 1 skein
Needles: KnitPicks 16" classic circulars in size 2.25mm; 2 circs method
Start: Jan 2008
Finish: April 1, 2008

Thoughts: These were part of our knitting group's knitalong, and I really love these socks. These were the first pair of socks where i actually correctly calculated the appropriate amount of negative ease so the socks would fit snugly and comfortably. The top cuff is a bit tight so there's some fidgeting to get them on. On the second cuff, I held double the needles and that seemed to loosen a bit more but not as much as I would have liked. Now, to count down the days when I can actually get them on my feet.



This is the right sleeve for the Cavern Cardigan right before I had to frog it. That's right. F-R-O-G IT. I figured out I was using size 8 needles, instead of size 7, and it was too loose and floppy. Rip it, rip it, rip it! I'm about halfway now I think and like the feel of it much better.